For over 100 years, this dynamic multi-disciplinary design firm has been recognized internationally for
contributions to the built environment through their unwavering commitment to design excellence,
creativity, and client service. The firm promotes a unique method of interdisciplinary collaboration,
leveraging its diverse resources across multiple markets and all global offices. Market expertise
includes Education, Federal, Science + Technology, Aviation, Education, Corporate/Commercial and
Hospitality. Given the firm’s planned growth and success they are seeking to identify a dynamic
Education Market Sector Leader in the firm’s Washington, DC Office who will embrace this key
leadership role and bring the vision, passion and expertise necessary for long-term success.
The Education Market Sector Leader is an architect and industry expert focused on strengthening,
growing and advancing the Washington, DC (WDC) Education Practice. S/he will infuse their vision
and strategic direction while elevating thought leadership within the WDC Education Practice. The
Education Market Sector Leader must demonstrate significant recent engagement with multiple
Colleges and Universities, preferably in the DC Region. S/he shall bring specialized experience with
one or more campus building types inclusive of Life Sciences, Student Life, Student Health, Student
Centers and Libraries. S/he must have demonstrated success developing new business (either
individually or as part of a team) for their firms. Experience writing articles for educational journals
and/or delivering presentations at educational conferences is desired.
The Education Market Sector Leader will with work with the Global Education Practice Leader and the
leadership of the office to further build and strengthen WDC’s Education Center of Excellence.
• Provide vision, strategic direction and thought leadership to advance the office’s education
program, with an emphasis on Higher Education, at the regional level. Provide understanding of
regional, national and global trends.
• Contribute to the development of the annual strategic plan for the Company’s and Office’s
Education Market Sector.
• Lead the development of winning pursuit strategies, targeted client capture plans and the
production of winning RFQ and RFP responses, including strategic Teaming.
• Lead the achievement of the office’s market sector strategic goals, targeted pursuit win rate,
budgeted New Business Contracted and Net Fees Earned.
• Review and assist in the update of Education program marketing materials, branding and
• Assess education resources, expertise and experience, and recommend key hires to build a “best
of class” team.
• Registered Architect w/ 15+ years of relevant professional Higher Education project experience.
• Demonstrated success in performing in a leadership role within an educational design practice.
• Proven business development skills to identify opportunities, develop client relationships,
understand client needs, develop customized innovative approaches, develop winning pursuit
strategies and lead the pursuit process from pre-sale to close.
• Strong current contacts/network in the educational industry and in the region.
• Proven experience leading teams to develop a vision, direction and strategy, and motivate and
coach team members to achieve their optimal potential.
• Strong written and verbal skills to communicate and present to multiple levels of industry
audiences, clients and internal staff and leadership.
• Education facility planning expertise required.
• Self-starter, requiring minimal direction, who can multi-task and effectively prioritize.
• Team-oriented, with the ability to support, facilitate, lead and motivate others through intellect,
influence and respect.
• Energetic, enthusiastic, committed and entrepreneurial.
• Generate best-in-class education design performance through clear personal passion.
• Software skills including InDesign, MS Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, etc.
• Revit and Sketch-Up a plus