LEO A DALY is seeking a mechanical engineer to lead the incorporation of sustainable strategies and energy analytics throughout the integrated design process of our projects. The successful candidate with promote the design of sustainable, high performance buildings that maintain healthier environments, increase occupant comfort, and lower utility and operating costs for our clients.
Candidate will work as part of a multi-discipline team leading the comprehensive development of sustainable strategies and energy analytics during all phases of multiple simultaneous projects located throughout the United States. Candidate will work closely with production teams of architects and engineers from conceptual design through project close-out and post-occupancy phases to improve the performance of projects and ensure a holistic, integrated design process occurs. Assignments will include: energy simulation parametrics, ASHRAE level energy modeling, sustainable/high performance building design consulting, post occupancy evaluations, existing building energy audits, retro-commissioning and commissioning. Secondary assignments may include performing design calculations and producing deliverable drawing sets for site plans, HVAC plans, piping plans, controls diagrams, details, schematics, and schedules.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serves as an energy and sustainability technical expert within the project team to plan the design process and solve problems of large scope and complexity.
- Consults with project teams to establish, design and specify high performance building and system solutions.
- Provides office-wide leadership in the development and coordination of energy models to estimate and analyze building energy usage. Leads the incorporation of energy modeling into the design process for all Omaha office projects.
- Provides consultation to project teams pursuing LEED and WELL certification. Oversees the evaluation and documentation of LEED and WELL scorecards for all Omaha office projects.
- Conducts site investigations and performs existing building energy audits. Benchmarks ongoing project energy consumption.
- Performs commissioning services for new construction.
- Performs retro-commissioning services for existing buildings.
- Attends client meetings and communicates with clients, consultants, contractors, and others during various stages of project development.
- Prepares narratives, reports, and calculation documents in accordance with a high degree of quality, yet with regard to project schedule and budget constraints.
- Mentors and encourages the development of junior professionals.
- Develops training and educational opportunities for sustainable, high performance building initiatives.
- Assesses and recommends improvements relative to engineering software, design procedures, standard details, and master specifications.
- Performs marketing and business development activities including building relationships with key clients and strategic partners, proposal writing, fee estimates, and client interviews.
- Travel for marketing and project-related activities will be required.
- ABET-accredited degree: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Master of Architectural Engineering with a mechanical emphasis
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in mechanical engineering on a wide variety of projects within the A/E industry with extensive experience specific to leading energy and sustainable consulting project services. Significant project experience designing high performance buildings that maintain healthier environments, increase occupant comfort, and lower utility and operating costs.
- Registered Professional Mechanical Engineer required.
- ASHRAE BEMP, Certified Energy Manager, LEED Accredited Professional, and WELL AP credentials preferred.
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of codes and related industry standards.
- Ability to create new and existing building energy models with the goal of calibrating, evaluating and interpreting the results yielding recommendations for building and system energy performance and cost savings.
- Demonstrated experience performing existing building energy audits as well as both retro-commissioning and commissioning services.
- Self-motivated team player with strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
- Ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately.