As a Senior Civil Project Engineer, you will lead a production team of civil engineers and be responsible for the quality of the technical services provided. Technical services will be in support of architectural and civil engineering projects related to site design for grading, storm water management, water and sanitary sewer, transportation, and environmental work. You will prepare planning and design documents, perform design calculations and may supervise civil engineering staff. You will often serve as a Project Manager for civil engineering lead projects – managing contracts, clients and the project team.
Candidate will work as part of a multi-discipline team managing the comprehensive development of civil engineering design during all phases of multiple simultaneous projects located throughout the United States. As a Project Manager, the candidate is responsible to drive results by coordinating the workload of the project team through all project stages to complete documents within project scope, on schedule, and meeting the client’s and Company’s budgets. This position requires involvement with the management, civil engineering production, and coordination of several projects concurrently. Project Managers must exhibit excellent client relationship skills and are expected to be involved with marketing, proposal development, contract negotiation, and production meetings. Project Managers must work collaboratively with individuals throughout the organization with a strong team-oriented approach.
Engineering responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serves as a technical expert within the civil engineering team to plan the design process and solve problems of large scope and complexity. Establishes, designs, and specifies project-appropriate civil engineering requirements.
- Plans, organizes, and directs the work of Civil Engineers, EITs, and Specialists.
- Attends client meetings and communicates with clients, consultants, contractors, and others during various stages of project development. Facilitates cross-discipline discussions and coordination.
- Conducts site investigations and observations.
- Prepares narratives, reports, calculations, drawing and specification documents in accordance with a high degree of quality, yet with regard to project schedule and budget constraints.
- Reviews civil engineering documents for quality and compliance with code and program requirements.
- Participates in Construction Administration by reviewing shop drawings and submittals, responding to RFI’s, solving construction issues, and performing site visits to assess general conformance with the design concept.
- Mentors and encourages the development of junior professionals and technicians.
- Develops training and educational opportunities for the civil engineering team.
Project management responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Establishes project scope with the client. Identifies project related risks and proactively plans for their mitigation.
- Prepares fee proposals and coordinates with the other discipline leaders regarding fee preparation.
- Prepares and negotiates client and subcontractor contracts.
- Develops schedules and project plans.
- Leads project kick off and regular project team meetings. Communicates relevant information with the project team.
- Monitors the team’s progress against plan.
- Ensures all project deliverables go through a detailed technical QA/QC review.
- Monitors subconsultant work progress against contract.
- Identifies changes in scope to prepare and coordinate requests for additional services.
- Fosters positive relations with clients, subcontractors, and contractors.
- Resolves project related disputes.
- Coordinates project billing with the Accounting department. Monitors the collection of fees from clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and Registered Professional Civil Engineer.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in civil engineering on a wide variety of projects.
- Excellent time management and organization skills with the ability to become involved in and remain current on issues relating to a number of concurrent projects in various stages. Ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately. Ability to direct and lead a production team of civil engineers and specialists.
- Demonstrated knowledge of site planning, design, and a practical knowledge of codes.
- Experience working with AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and storm drainage modeling and hydraulic programs.
- Design experience in utility relocation coordination, public/private roadway design, site grading, storm drainage, and sanitary sewer design.
- Strong leadership, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Self-motivated team player with strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.